the online home of Dan Siegal-Gaskins
dantimatter.com is the online home of Dan Siegal-Gaskins. The word "dantimatter", aof and , reflects Dan's general interest in and provides him with a moderately wacky domain name that wasn't already taken when he first paid for it in 2001.
Since October 2011 I've been a Postdoctoral Scholar in Bioengineering at, working in the lab of . Prior to that I was a Postdoctoral Fellow of the at the Ohio State University. My general research interests lie in the interdisciplinary fields of and and include: using combined theoretical, computational, and wet-lab experimental approaches to study gene network dynamics, analyses of the role of topology in the behavior of equivalent circuits, and the application of deconvolution techniques to population-level data for new single cell-level insights.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Noireaux V, and Murray RM. “Biomolecular resource utilization in elementary cell-free gene circuits”. To appear, 2013 American Control Conference (ACC).
- Pomeranz M, Campbell J, Siegal-Gaskins D, Engelmeier J, Wilson T, Fernandez V, Brkljacic J, and Grotewold E. 2012. “High-resolution computational imaging of leaf hair patterning using polarized light microscopy”. Plant J 73:701–708.
- Eisenberg MC, Ash JN, and Siegal-Gaskins D. 2011. In silico synchronization of cellular populations through expression data deconvolution. Proceedings of the 48th ACM/EDAC/IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC):812-817.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Mejia-Guerra MK, Smith GD, and Grotewold E. 2010. Emergence of switch-like behavior in a large family of simple biochemical networks. PLoS Comput Biol 7(5): e1002039.
- Fiebig A, Castro Rojas CM, Siegal-Gaskins D, and Crosson S. 2010. Interaction specificity and toxicity in a paralogous set of ParE/RelE-family toxin-antitoxin systems. Mol Microbiol 77: 236-251.
- Siegal-Gaskins D, Grotewold E, and Smith GD. 2009. The capacity for multistability in small gene regulatory networks. BMC Syst Biol 3:96.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Ash JN, and Crosson S. 2009. Model-based Deconvolution of Cell Cycle Time-series Data Reveals Gene Expression Details at High Resolution. PLoS Comput Biol 5(8): e1000460.
- Guet GC, Bruneaux L, Min TL, Siegal-Gaskins D, Figueroa I, Emonet T, and Cluzel P. 2008. Simultaneous Determination of mRNA and Protein Concentrations in Single Living Bacteria. Nucleic Acids Res 36(12):e73.
- Siegal-Gaskins D and Crosson S. 2008. Tightly-Regulated and Heritable Division Control in Single Bacterial Cells. Biophys J 95(4):2063-72.
- Purcell EB, Siegal-Gaskins D, Rawling DC, Fiebig A, and Crosson S. 2007. A Photosensory Two-Component System Regulates Bacterial Cell Attachment. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104(46):18241-18246.
(‡ indicates corresponding authorship.)
My CV can be found. (CV was last updated on 2/3/13.)
Science education and outreach
I'm a big supporter of good science education and of increasing. As part of a larger effort to "think globally and act locally" about scientific literacy, I started the back in September, 2010. The Pub is still going strong, and if you happen to find yourself in central Ohio, I highly recommend it. And wherever you are, I encourage you to support local and national efforts to make science more accessible, higher priority, and better funded. :)
- 2013 American Control Conference (Washington, DC, USA), June 17-19, 2013
- BioBricks Foundation SB6.0: The Sixth International Meeting on Synthetic Biology (Imperial College, London, UK), July 9-11, 2013
You can reach me by email at web_at_dantimatter_dot_com (replacing the "_at_" and "_dot_" with "@" and ".").