the online home of Dan Siegal-Gaskins
dantimatter.com is the online home of Dan Siegal-Gaskins. The word "dantimatter", aof and , reflects Dan's general interest in and provides him with a moderately wacky domain name that wasn't already taken when he first paid for it in 2001.
Since October 2011 I've been a Postdoctoral Scholar in Bioengineering at, working in the lab of . Prior to that I was a Postdoctoral Fellow of the at the Ohio State University. My general research interests lie in the interdisciplinary fields of and . Specific interests include understanding the role of topology in performance of circuits with similar functionality, bistability, feedback control in toxin–antitoxin systems, biomolecular resource utilization, and the application of deconvolution techniques to population-level data for new single cell-level insights.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Zhou T, Franco E, and Murray RM. An analytical approach to bistable biological circuit discrimination using real algebraic geometry. Submitted for publication.
- Tuza ZA, Siegal-Gaskins D, and Szederkényi G. Analysis based parameter estimation of an in vitro transcriptional-translational system. In preparation.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Tuza ZA, Kim J, Noireaux V, and Murray RM. Gene Circuit Performance Characterization and Resource Usage in a Cell-Free "Breadboard". ACS Synth Biol 3(6):416–425, 2014.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Noireaux V, and Murray RM. Biomolecular resource utilization in elementary cell-free gene circuits. In American Control Conference (ACC), 2013, pp. 1531–1536, 2013.
- Pomeranz M, Campbell J, Siegal-Gaskins D, Engelmeier J, Wilson T, Fernandez V, Brkljacic J, and Grotewold E. High-resolution computational imaging of leaf hair patterning using polarized light microscopy. Plant J 73:701–708, 2012.
- Eisenberg MC, Ash JN, and Siegal-Gaskins D. 2011. In silico synchronization of cellular populations through expression data deconvolution. In 48th ACM/EDAC/IEEE Design Automation Conference (DAC), pp. 812-817, 2011.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Mejia-Guerra MK, Smith GD, and Grotewold E. Emergence of switch-like behavior in a large family of simple biochemical networks. PLoS Comput Biol 7(5): e1002039, 2011.
- Fiebig A, Castro Rojas CM, Siegal-Gaskins D, and Crosson S. Interaction specificity and toxicity in a paralogous set of ParE/RelE-family toxin-antitoxin systems. Mol Microbiol 77: 236-251, 2010.
- Siegal-Gaskins D, Grotewold E, and Smith GD. The capacity for multistability in small gene regulatory networks. BMC Syst Biol 3:96, 2009.
- Siegal-Gaskins D‡, Ash JN, and Crosson S. Model-based Deconvolution of Cell Cycle Time-series Data Reveals Gene Expression Details at High Resolution. PLoS Comput Biol 5(8): e1000460, 2009.
- Guet GC, Bruneaux L, Min TL, Siegal-Gaskins D, Figueroa I, Emonet T, and Cluzel P. Simultaneous Determination of mRNA and Protein Concentrations in Single Living Bacteria. Nucleic Acids Res 36(12):e73, 2008.
- Siegal-Gaskins D and Crosson S. Tightly-Regulated and Heritable Division Control in Single Bacterial Cells. Biophys J 95(4):2063-72, 2008.
- Purcell EB, Siegal-Gaskins D, Rawling DC, Fiebig A, and Crosson S. A Photosensory Two-Component System Regulates Bacterial Cell Attachment. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104(46):18241-18246, 2007.
(‡ indicates corresponding authorship.)
My CV can be found. (CV was last updated on 8/30/14.)
Science education and outreach
I'm a big supporter of good science education and of increasing. As part of a larger effort to "think globally and act locally" about scientific literacy, I started the back in September, 2010. The Pub is still going strong, and if you happen to find yourself in central Ohio, I highly recommend it. And wherever you are, I encourage you to support local and national efforts to make science more accessible, higher priority, and better funded. :)
- None scheduled
- Synthetic Biology: Engineering, Evolution & Design (SEED) 2014 (Manhattan Beach, CA, USA), July 14-17, 2014.
- Molecular Programming Project (MPP) workshop retreat (Oxnard, CA, USA), December 13-15, 2013
- BioBricks Foundation SB6.0: The Sixth International Meeting on Synthetic Biology (Imperial College, London, UK), July 9-11, 2013
- 2013 American Control Conference (Washington, DC, USA), June 17-19, 2013
- First Annual Winter q-bio Meeting (Honolulu, HI, USA), February 18-21, 2013
You can reach me by email at web_at_dantimatter_dot_com (replacing the "_at_" and "_dot_" with "@" and ".").